Currently, there is less regulation on FinTech companies than on federally regulated financial institutions. There have been a number of reports written recently regarding the need for increased regulation within the finTech industry in Canada.
- OSC Launch Pad How we help start-ups, investors and current CSA & International developments in FinTech area.
- The Competition Bureau has launched a FinTech market study, which will be published in Spring 2017. This study will aim to advise of the need for regulatory reform while maintaining competition and consumer confidence.
- The Task Force for the Payments System created The Way We Pay: Transforming the Canadian Payments System.
- The Department of Finance Canada created Balancing Oversight and Innovation in the Ways We Pay: A Consultation Paper, which looks at the oversight of national payment systems
- Contained within the Ontario Securities Commission Notice 11-774 - Statement of Priorities is a section about the need to monitor FinTech changes determine whether regulatory changes are needed.